Friday, February 22, 2013

Count Down to Portland, OR

via thelittlecanoe

Ever since Don took his first plane ride on our trip to San Francisco in 2010, he's been having the travel itch. I definitely have had the travel bug as well. We weren't able to go on a big vacation last year because of how crazy, hectic it was. We were able to escape for a weekend or two throughout the year to Williamsburg, VA, Pennsylvania, and a few other local places. But after our wedding, we agreed that we needed a vacation.

A few months ago, we were talking about our next vacation possibilities, Vermont? Maine? Ireland?? We've been wanting to visit Portland, Oregon for a few years now. For some reason, I have this weird fantasy that Portland is a magical place. Don laughs at me because every time I say "Portland" I wiggle my fingers in the air, to simulate sparkles. I don't really think that Portland is actually magical, but I like that Portland is an urban setting that isn't quite a busy as NYC or DC, it is quirky, and it is surrounded by wilderness. I think we'll fit right in. I quickly did a search on Priceline for plane tickets to Portland. I was shocked when I found round trip tickets from DC to Portland for $320! When I told Don the price, he got a huge smile on his face and we knew where we'd be heading for our next vacation!

We are heading out in the end of March for a week. I seriously can't wait! For Valentine's day, I bought Don a little 5x7 print of the "We Belong in Portland, Oregon" image above from The Little Canoe on Etsy. Don is a "we'll figure it out when we get there" or "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" kind of guy. I'm not. I'm a planner. Not just a planner but a "Hello, my name is April and I'm a compulsive planner" kind of girl. (The first step is admitting you have a problem, right?) I began creating an excel spreadsheet of our trip as soon as we booked the tickets. I did one for our San Francisco trip too. I'm a lot like my dad in that way. Although his vacation timelines drove me CRAZY, (8:00am - wake up, 8:15am - showers, 8:30am - finish getting ready, 9:00am - leave hotel room, 9:05am - grab continental breakfast...) we always had the BEST vacations. He'd find the coolest things to do! So, like my dad, I've been doing some research, so far our list of things we want to do include:


  • Food Walking Tour - This is a must for every city that we visit from now on. We did one in San Francisco and are hooked. I found Forktown, and we are thinking about doing the N. Mississippi Ave. Tour. Anything involving food trucks and I'm in!
  • Underground Walking Tour - I read in a Portland guide that my sister and brother-in-law gave Don for Christmas, about these tunnels under the city. The tunnels were originally used for trade, but became the hub of crime, scandal, and controversy. Now they offer walking tours of the tunnels. 
  • Freaky But True Peculiarium - An awesome looking museum, but I think the title says it all. 
  • Rose Garden - We rented a little cottage across from the Rose Garden. We aren't in the heart of the city, but not far from it. And honestly... who can resist staying across from a rose garden?
  • Japanese Tea Gardens - I haven't done too much research on the Japanese Tea Garden but Tea + Japanese Theme + Garden = the best combination.
  • Alberta Street Festival - On the last Thursday of every month, there is a huge street festival on Alberta Street. We are flying in that day and I'm so glad we'll be able to make it! 
  • Farmer's Market - Could you really go to Portland and not experience the Farmer's Market? I know we wouldn't miss it!
  • Powell's City of Books - This book store always comes up in "what to do in Portland" searches. Everyone says it is one of the biggest book stores. Don and I have been trying to read more so maybe we'll have to drop in early and pick out a book to read in the evenings!
  • Hiking - Even if it is raining, I know Don and I want to get in some hiking. I need to do some research on which trails we want to tackle. But I know I want at least one that has waterfalls!
  • Awesome Eats - Don and I are foodies. Or maybe I'm a foodie and Don just humors me...? In any case, I can't wait to try the grub! I need to do more research, but I've already seen that I need to try VooDoo Donuts. Did I really need a push to find a reason to eat donuts? I don't think so! I read on another blog about how good the brunch is at Irving Street Kitchen. That's one of the things I love about the blogging world!
  • Mt. Saint Helens/The Coast - Don really wants to rent a car to drive to Mt. Saint Helens. It isn't very far, so why not? And while we have a car, why not take a drive along the coast? 
I'm still on the search for more and more to do. I have to fill in my excel spreadsheet! Although, I'm not as meticulous with the details as my Dad was (still is??). I just like to have at least one or two things planned for each day. If you have any suggestions, or know of anyone with suggestions, we'd love to hear!!

We can't wait!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment